Department of Mathematics and Statistics| UNC Charlotte
ASM Author – ACTEX and Actuarial Bookstore
- Co-Author of the 13th edition of the ASM Study Manual for FM in 2018.
- Author for GOAL (Guided Online Actuarial Learning), an e-learning test prep tool for actuarial exam FM, since 2015.
Degrees and Courses Offered:
- BA/BS in Math with Actuarial Concentration
- BS in Math for Business with Actuarial Concentration
- Minor in Actuarial Science
- Certificate in Actuarial Studies (New in Fall 2017)
- Prep Courses for 4 actuarial exams (P/1, FM/2, IFM, LTAM), all VEE credits, several Statistics Courses
- Courses for SAS, R, Excel, Java, SQL, and other programming skills,
- Listed as Advanced Curriculum Program – UCAP with the new SOA system in 2017. Our actuarial program is the only Advanced in NC and SC
- Chosen to participate in an SOA pilot program aimed at connecting university Actuarial programs with an SOA member actuary. We were one of only 15 schools in 2016
- Annual Fall Actuarial Science Day/ Career Fair on campus for High school and College students, parents and teachers to promote the Actuarial field in general and our Actuarial Program in particular, since 2015
- Annual Spring Alumni Luncheon to maintain strong connections with the alumni of the program and to provide current student the opportunity to network with the alumni, since 2013.
- A University Partner with the Actuarial Foundation – Modeling the Future Challenge – since 2017
Program Growth – Course Enrollment:
Act Science IA
|Math 3228- FM
Act Science IB
Act Science IIA
|Math 4229- MLC
Act Science IIB
Program Growth – Actuarial Exams Passed by current students:
|Year||Exam FM||Exam P||Exam MLC||Exam MFE||Total|
(Note: These numbers are for currently enrolled students. Several students pass exams after graduations. So they are not included in our count. Especially exam MLC, we finish the syllabus early May and students sit for it in October after graduation.)
Connections with Actuaries, Employers and Actuarial Societies and Organizations:
- Brighthouse Financial
- Lincoln Financial Group – Greensboro
- Aon Hewitt
- Scottish Re
- Willis Towers Watson
- Zurich Na
- Mutual of Omaha
- Unum – Colonial Life – Columbia, SC
- BCBS – Durham, NC
- FTI Consulting – Winston-Salem, NC
- Aflac – Columbia , SC
- Arch MI – Greensboro, NC
- Arrow Capital
- North Carolina Department of Insurance
- Society of Actuaries – SOA
- Casualty Actuarial Society – CAS
- Casualty Actuaries of the South East – CASE
- North Carolina Actuarial Club
Scholarships and Funding:
- Scholarships: $1000 student scholarship from “DW Simpson Actuarial Recruiting Company” through the Math Department since 2014
- Scholarships: $500 “Robert Anderson Scholarship” to one actuarial student since 2014
- Exam Fee Reimbursement program using grants received from: The Casualty Actuaries of the South East – CASE, Lincoln Financial Group – LFG, the Society of Actuaries – SOA, AXA, the Risk Management Department, The Math Department
- Funding for travel to conferences and Shadow days by the Math Department
Community Service & Outreach:
- Proctored Actuarial exams on campus for the Society of Actuaries in April and November, and VEE examination offered by ACTEX online Actuarial Courses in March.
- Invited high school Math teachers and students to attend the “Calculus the Musical!” production sponsored yearly by the Math department.
- Invited high school Math teachers and students to the Annual Fall Actuarial Science Day held on campus by the Actuarial Science Club and sponsored by the Math department.
Actuarial Science Club Activities:
- Held and organized Annual Spring Alumni Luncheons and Fall Actuarial Science Days and Career Fairs.
- Participated in the Unum Colonial life events “Actuarial Profession Overview” in Columbia, SC
- Attended the BCBS Job Shadow Days, Durham NC
- Attended the Lincoln Financial Group actuarial events, Greensboro NC
- Attended the “North Carolina Actuarial Club” meeting at Scor Global Life Reinsurance Company, uptown Charlotte.
- Attended the Casualty Actuaries of the South East (CASE) Regional Conferences.
- Volunteered at the Mapp High school Challenge, Pi day by the Math Club, the alumni luncheon, The Actuarial Science Day, Calculus the Musical, the Integration Bee, Pi Mu Epsilon Induction Ceremony.
- Volunteered at annual walks: Light the night for Leukemia and Lymphoma, American Heart Association, and Junior Achievement.
- Held resume workshops and organized info sessions by actuarial employers.
- Held end of semester graduation events for graduating seniors.